Denver Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers
Call (800) 863-5312 to Speak with Denver Spinal Cord Injury Lawyers for Free
A spinal cord injury can devastate you physically and emotionally. In addition, it can place great hardship on your loved ones. Since spinal cord injuries are often quite severe, damage awards for properly executed lawsuits can be extremely high. In addition to compensation for medical expenses, you could be entitled to compensation for your emotional difficulties as well as long-term physical impairment.
The spine injury lawyers at Zinda Law Group of Denver can help you seek the full and fair compensation you deserve. Call 303-800-1501 to get a free legal consultation today.
Nature of Spinal Injuries
The spinal cord is responsible for carrying information from the brain to the rest of the body. There are two different types of spinal cord injuries – complete and incomplete. In a complete spinal cord injury, the spinal cord is severed at some point along the column and the portion of the body below the injury is completely paralyzed. In an incomplete spinal cord injury, the spinal cord may be torn or bruised, resulting in partial loss of motor coordination, sensation, and function.
The effect of a spinal cord injury can be devastating, often rendering it impossible to live a normal life. You could be entitled to damages for these lifestyle challenges. Lifestyle challenges may include:
- Chronic pain
- Loss of mobility (partial or complete)
- Breathing difficulties
- Depression and anxiety
- Loss of independence
- Loss of career/work opportunities
Three types of damages are potentially available to a plaintiff who files a lawsuit against the party that caused a spinal cord injury: economic damages, non-economic damages, and physical impairment damages.
Economic damages compensate you for medical bills, lost work time, out-of-pocket expenses (such as child care), and other financial expenses arising from the accident.
Non-economic damages compensate you for pain and suffering, mental anguish (such as stress and depression), and other psychological damages.
Physical impairment damages are treated as separate damages under Colorado law and exist in order to recognize the long-term impact of an injury that affects a person’s ability to lead a normal life.
A personal injury attorney from Zinda Law Group can hep you determine all of the damages you could be eligible for and seek them on your behalf.
Poor or lack of representation in a spinal cord injury lawsuit could negatively affect the outcome of your case. Three of the most prominent legal risks are expiration of the statute of limitations deadline, underestimation of damages, and failing to demonstrate that the defendant was more than 50 percent responsible under Colorado’s comparative fault statute:
- The Colorado statute of limitations for filing most spinal cord personal injury lawsuits is two years from the date of the accident (the time window can be much shorter if the defendant is a government employee or entity). If the deadline expires before you file a lawsuit, your claim could become worthless.
- Under-claiming damages is dangerous because spinal cord injuries often result in lifelong disability. If you underestimate your long-term damages, your damage award may not cover all the economic costs many years after the injury. Since non-economic damages are often calculated as a multiple of your economic damages, underestimating medical expenses could also cause you to lose non-economic damages.
- The Colorado comparative fault system allows the defendant to avoid liability entirely if you were at least 50 percent at fault in the accident. If your fault was less than 50 percent, you can still recover, but your recovery will be reduced by the percentage of fault that the court attributes to you. If your damages are $1,000,000 and you are ruled 25 percent at fault, for example, you could lose $250,000 in damages.
If you have a spinal cord injury that you believe was someone else’s fault, your choice of which attorney to retain is critically important. Zinda Law Group is a premier personal injury law firm that serves the greater Denver area and all of Colorado. We have a team of dedicated and experienced spinal injury attorneys ready to fight for your legal rights. Call 303-800-1501 today to get a free consultation with one of our skilled Denver spine injury lawyers.